The A&S GSO Elizabeth Baranger Teaching Awards acknowledge excellence in graduate student teaching across the Arts & Sciences. Awardees are nominated by undergraduates and are presented to one graduate student from each school division (i.e., humanities, natural sciences, social sciences). The award, which will be given in mid-October, is named after Elizabeth Baranger, former Dean and, later, Vice-Provost of the School of Arts & Sciences.
The purpose of the teaching award is to:
- Recognize and reward outstanding teaching by graduate students at Pitt.
- Make teaching by graduate students more visible and valued on campus.
- Raise the standards of the teaching by graduate students.
- Contribute to and/or spark discussions about what constitutes good teaching by graduate students on campus.
- Help graduate students prepare professionally for teaching careers.
To nominate a graduate student please follow the link: Nominate a graduate instructor
- Nominations open: April 2023
- Nominations close: May 15, 2023
- Nominees notified: Late May 2023
- Applications due: September 8, 2023
- Graduate students who receive nominations will be given instructions via email about how to apply. (See below for details.)
How Does the Awards Process Work?
Each spring, the Elizabeth Baranger Teaching Award Committee accepts nominations for outstanding graduate student teachers and graduate instructors. Nominees for this year will have taught during one or more of the following terms: summer 2022, fall 2022, and spring 2023.
Next, the Teaching Award Committee invites nominated students to apply for the award. The application includes a statement of teaching philosophy, a diversity/inclusivity statement, a teaching reflection, an example of written teaching material, and two OMET evaluations.
The Teaching Award Committee then reviews applications and selects one exemplary graduate student from each school division. Each will receive a $500 award and an invitation to an event in their honor.
Teaching Award Committee
You can contact the committee directly at PittTeachingAwards1787@gmail.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to volunteer as a judge in the committee, please send your name and email to PittTeachingAwards1787@gmail.com and cc email@example.com.